Yesterday was our anniversary, so Madeline and I finally got to go out and see The Return of the King. (No, that wasn’t all we did; we did go to Masa’s the night before.) When one’s expectations are so high, the movie is bound to disappoint — which it didn’t, as it exceeded them and more. Absolutely amazing. (I read the books when I was in high school and all I could remember from the last book was the spider — couldn’t even remember whether Frodo made it out alive.)
Favorite moments off the top of my head:
– Andy Serkis in the flesh.
– The “helicopter shot” of Gandalf, Pippin and Shadowfax riding up the levels of Minas Tirith.
– “Sneaking? Sneaking?”
– The lighting of the beacons.
– The scene when Hugo Weaving presents Aragorn with the reforged sword. (Madeline had to chuckle, though, when the camera pans lovingly up and down the blade.)
– Eowyn pulling off her helmet.
– Legolas surfing down the elephant trunk.
– Shelob wrapping up Frodo in a cocoon. (I honestly thought he was dead.)
– “Don’t go where I can’t follow.” (Sentimental fool that I am, I almost lost it on that one.)
– Frodo and Sam, holding each other on the rock surrounded by lava, “at the end of all things.”
– “My friends, you bow to no one.”
– Elijah Wood, looking like he stepped out of a Caravaggio painting, boarding the ship.