7 Comments

1. ·

How very interesting. I’m actually from Cavite, though I’m not sure if I can be called Caviteno, since I don’t even speak that language and am part Waray and Chinese anyway. The only Philippine language I can speak is Tagalog, or more accurately, Taglish. What can I say, being a 1.5 generation immigrant meant that I only received a grade 4 education in Tagalog.

I also find your blog in general to be interesting. I’m actually doing my Master’s research on Filipino bloggers, which is how I ended up here. The Master’s is in social anthro, which is kind of funny since I was exploring your blog last night and found out you were also an anthropologist. And you mention When Georges Woke Up Laughing and Power and Intimacy in the Christian Philippines, the first of which is on my reading list and the second I own.

You’re clearly coming at things from an Ethnic Studies perspective as well, which is nice since more anthros and academics need to engage with the larger public anyway. Plus, applied anthro is always a good thing. I wonder, would you call yourself an anthroblogger? There’s a small but growing community of such online.

Anyway, I think I’ll be sticking around. I’m going to New York in late July/early August, do you know if Cavite will be showing in any theatres there during that period?

2. ·

Hello Sarapen,

Thanks for your comments! No way I’d call myself an anthroblogger — I write nowhere near the same level of academic discourse as Kerim Friedman and Co. on the Savage Minds blog.

I think Cavite’s run two-week run in NY ended the other week, I’m afraid; hopefully it’ll show up on DVD!

3. ·

nice review – could i link your review on our maarte blog?

4. brown

First Asian-Am/Fil-Am movie I’ve enjoyed in the last what? ELEVEN YEARS??? (Terminal USA).

5. Maila

I am from Cavite. I heard of this movie and looking forward to watching it. Tobinitz! how are you? can you email me your new email address? I lost it somehow.

Thanks,

6. artsy hipster

I didn’t really like the movie. I speak fluent Tagalog and the ‘terrorist’s” Tagalog wasn’t even correct most of the time, he had a LOT of grammatical errors.

It poorly represents the nice parts of the Philippines. This, bothers me the most. It’s bad enough that Filipinos in the United States have a stereotypical reputation as money and career whores, whose women are wives of white Navy men, and whose children are Honda Drivin’ spoiled brats.

It unfairly raises a controversy that has been going on for decades in the Philippines: the Muslims vs Catholics.

Pretty good plot though but I think the problem was it was too amateur for a heavy controversy.

I was nauseous most of the time because the camera moved too much, it was worst than watching my husband play an RPG game.

If I have the time and effort, I’d make a movie about spoiled rich kids in the Philippines, how the little fuckers party, their spending habits, of dropping $400 easily just on a pair of designer jeans, whose parents are all politically connected who attends the richest schools and the ones who have Swiss Bank Accounts…in hopes to show how they negatively affect the country’s poor.

And most of all, the dialogue will be perfect Tagalog, without any grammatical errors on it. But then again, the rich in the Philippines probably speak another European language besides English.

Now that would be interesting.

>>>>>note:
    I know it’s sad that a lot of Filipinos could attack me for saying this, you know put me down and tell me that I’m putting down their success for making it in the Independent Theatres.

There’s almost a social stigma, of my not liking this film because it’s made by, and is about Filipinos. Great they made it as artist/film makers, but they have to also learn that being an artist means you CANNOT please everybody. My not liking the film doesn’t mean I’m jealous of their success. I could care less if a Filipino became the next American President, or the President of Microsoft, you know? Good for them. But I still don’t like their film.

What? Just because I’m Filipino, I’m supposed to like and worship their film?

Moreover, if the Filipino-Americans think I’m bashing them and that they feel sorry for me because they have acquired my money after paying to watch their film….well if they think they’ve reached success and that they’re a bit wealthier now, why can’t they donate the money from the box office to HELP those needy people in the slums?

What they’re doing here is the fact that they are capitalizing on the poorest people, using them to help them earn their brink of fifteen minutes success and profit.

Bottom line, what’s your solution, buddies for the problem?

7. vicky

artsy hipster:

do you even get the point of the film? every negative comment you raised doesn’t relate to the film’s purpose at all.

i, myself, left the cinema thinking that a huge aspect of the film making was just absurd (the stalking terrorist watching his every move, ON THAT ENVIRONMENT, is just not possible) so i am not defending the integrity of this movie but it just seems that you’re all disappointed for the wrong reasons.

“It poorly represents the nice parts of the Philippines.” – the film is about THAT. the injustice, violence, poverty, all that negativity in all it’s glory. what did you expect?

the shaky camera – i’m no film maker but it’s part of their creative license. it’s not only the lack of equipment, it brings out the mood.

and about the rich spoiled excessive kids, what does it have to do with the message of a film that’s about the unsatisfied muslims fighting for justice, and all the bloodshed it has to offer? if you’re so concerned about that, why not make your own damn film about it