Just posted this on the Zorn list, after what looked like lists and lists of discs by Anthony Braxton and Dave Douglas and Polwechsel and the Ruins and what have you.
I probably have the poppiest and shortest of all the year-end lists so far — kind of makes me wonder what I’m still doing on this list…
The best things I heard all year (including some oldies):
– Guided By Voices: Universal Truths and Cycles
– Diana Krall, Live in Paris
– Puffy: AmiYumi Jet Fever
– Swans: Soundtracks for the Blind
I went to exactly two concerts this year (this is what happens when you have a kid) and both were totally unforgettable:
– Boredoms, with Jackie-O Motherfucker opening, Slim’s, SF
– Marilyn Crispell Trio, with the Susie Ibarra Quartet opening, Yerba Buena Theater, SF
And I barely saw any videos this year, much less see any films on the big screen (though in a few days the babysitter arrives so my wife and I can watch Lord! Of! The! Rings!), but here were two excellent ones:
– The Deep End
And the absolute worst movie this year — indeed, one of the worst I’ve seen period, even if I saw it with already lowered expectations:
– Star Wars Episode something-or-other: Attack of the Clones
And I’m going to the Gerhard Richter show at the SF Museum of Modern Art tomorrow, so that’ll be up there with the Yoko Ono show earlier this year, if not better.
And is Missy Elliott’s “Work It” an amazing single or what?