10. Ida Maria, “Oh My God” (2007)
– Official website.
– From the 2008 album Fortress Round My Heart.
Yes, it’s one of last year’s big songs, and it was on a bunch of 2008 year-end lists already, but hey, I’m not one of the Pitchfork cognoscenti or Sasha Frere-Jones, so it took a while before this song made its way through a hundred other bloggers and the occasional TV show and Time and finally to my happy ears. “Oh My God”, as the video captures quite literally, is a power pop anthem infused with agitation: the demand to “Find a cure for my life,” the jittery punk guitars, and that quaver in her hoarse voice early in the song just before she erupts into the bug-eyed intensity of the last third. “Is this fun for you?” she asks toward the end; it almost sounds like a threat, but oh, how much fun it is indeed. Probably Norway’s greatest musical export since Darkthrone, and with a better sense of humor about God too.
The rest of the list so far:
11. Anna Fermin’s Trigger Gospel, “How Do You Judge Me” (2003)
12. The Phenomenal Handclap Band, “15 to 20” (2009)
13. Speech Debelle, “The Key” (2009)
14. ComaR, “I Want You D.A.N.C.E.” (2008)
15. Michael Jackson, “Happy” (1973)
16. Wonder Girls, “Nobody” (2008)